So often I talk with people about simplifying their lives and I often hear, “If I could only ___ then I think I could do it.”
Or “If I only had more ___ then I could do it.”
It’s easy to make these excuses. It’s easy to justify our actions — especially when we realize there’s a laundry list full of areas where we could improve.
But improvement (especially self-improvement) often takes baby steps.
No one is expecting you to adopt a minimalist lifestyle overnight. Heck! I haven’t adopted a 100% minimalist life. I’m still growing and learning and becoming minimalist.
So rather than get yourself trapped under a magnitude of changes – try changing ONE thing in your life this week.
Make ONE change and then go from there.
To get your started, here are 10 simple things you can do today to help simplify your life.
- Eliminate one commitment from your calendar (and leave the time slot empty – don’t fill it with something else.)
- Cancel one magazine or newspaper subscription.
- Unsubscribe from one e-newsletter you receive.
- Plan your meals one week in advance.
- Eat slowly.
- Declutter one area of your home this week (a closet, a desk, a junk drawer, a room).
- Watch less TV. Pick one show and remove it from your regularly watched programming.
- Delete your account on one social network.
- Adopt a morning and evening routine.
- Go for a walk with your family.
Once you tackle one item on the list, move on to the next, and then the next.
Before you know it you’ll be sailing along like a seasoned pro.
But the key to getting there remains simple: simply do ONE thing.